About Me

My photo
Author of queer, wry sci fi/fantasy books. On Amazon.
Editor of all fiction genres.

Wednesday 4 May 2016

Pretty Things

Pretty Things by
David Bowie was rattling around in my head like a penny in a tin can
late at night I was

building tenuous struts from imaginary castles to real skyscrapers
linking the family I'd been born into with
the friends I had chosen
family is a concept made tenuous by distance and made real by our choices
that's just how connections work

Earl Grey was on my tongue and silver oxide on my fingertips as I
untangled and broke a dozen tiny chains, trying to fix what
errant neglect had done and

I contemplated the Grand Unified Theory of Female Pain 
like a scab or like a lost blood clot left in the tub from a shower that was too quick
a new period in my life, and one that kept going--
damn the hormones

I

considered being a mermaid for half an hour or an hour
whiling away time under a red light, in a few litres of heat and enlightenment


and I
I

remembered the days when pain was an option and a quaint memory, something that
I

had assumed was part of my past; that

brief

moment of confidence that heartbreak and ache and soreness were behind me was
a long time ago

we
talk about the arrogance of youth all the time but I
knew better then.

And now--
I know better
than to know better.

***

Thanks for returning to the nest. Leave a comment and say hi! I want to hear from you. Keep up with the new releases by getting on the mailing list. Buy my books on Amazon, and keep up with me on TwitterFacebookTumblr, and the original blog. This is the one and only SciFiMagpie, over and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, be excellent unto others, and don't be a dick.

Google+